Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Because You Can Never Waste Enough Time

I wrote my first book on a typewriter. At the time I knew nothing about computers, nothing about the internet, nothing about search engines or blogs or websites. I did the research for that book at the New York Public Library, where every other periodical I needed was missing and the stacks smelled like pee. I walked around with a pocket full of dimes for the copy machine, listing to port like the Titanic.

Fast forward twenty years. Now I spend all day on the computer, either writing or avoiding writing. I connect with readers and other writers through my website, through blogs, and through social networking sites. And I love it. I can keep in touch with friends, keep readers up to date on my projects, and basically make what was once a very large world very small.

Which brings me to my new favorite site: Shelfari. I was introduced to Shelfari by my friend Kemble Scott. It's a fun site where readers and writers get together to talk about books and writing and anything else they like. But mostly books.

If you go to my personal Shelfari page you can see my virtual bookshelf. This is where you "shelve" books you're reading, have read, or want to read, giving your friends a fun way to see what you have in common and, most important, get ideas of books they might want to read next. Clicking on the covers will show you reader reviews and also give you options for purchasing (hint hint). You can also visit my Shelfari author page for more info about me and my books. Because I know you're dying to know everything you possibly can about me.

If you sign up for Shelfari, be sure to add me as a friend. And check out all of the cool interest groups on the site. There's something there for everyone.

On the subject of finding new books, a lot of you have been asking about the Circle of Three series I wrote under the name Isobel Bird. The hard copies are out of print now, but they've recently been released in e-book editions. For Kindle editions, check out the handy Isobel Bird Kindle Bookshop below to get them. For all other electronic reader versions--including Adobe eBook, Gemstar, Microsoft Reader, MobiPocket, Sony Reader, and Palm Reader--you can find them at the HarperCollins website.

No comments: